Tuesday 18 November 2014

OUIL 504 SB2 - John Klassen

I came across Jon Klassen's work on my regular trip to Waterstones to look at some children's books for their illustrations. I caught the sight of The Dark by Lemony Snicket and was instantly enchanted by the illustrations. The visual quality of his work reminded me so much of the atmosphere given off in Coraline. When I got back, I decided to look him up on the internet and found that he actually worked on the concept art for the movie adaptation of Coraline - so awesome.

And then I came across the trailer for the book:
It's interesting to see how they have made his illustrations come to life just by a slight change in position and size of the images. Like the SETA book trailer I've talked about in the previous post, maybe this is also something I can consider doing to make the production of my trailers more efficient.

The images below are more of Klassen's work. I love the way he uses little to no lines, subtle, earthy colours, shape, texture and his lighting is really beautiful. I am leaning towards this kind of visual aesthetic for my trailers as using simple shapes would come really handy in the animating process and the textural quality would also add to the creepy, dark atmosphere of the story.
I also really like this multiplied, collage-looking effect.

His work in progress - his textures are created by himself

No comments:

Post a Comment