Monday 27 April 2015

OUIL 503 End of Module Evaluation


Each module that I have come across has been really challenging and has taught me different things each time. This responsive module has definitely been a challenge, but it has also been one that I have really enjoyed the most so far as well. One of the reasons why I found this module the most benefitting so far since starting my degree, is because it has made me apply myself into the real world of work and has therefore been really useful in providing me an insight to what it would be like working out of education, with real clients and real briefs and preparing me for it, which is really what its all about at the end of the day!

I also liked the freedom of being able to choose our own briefs for this module. For example, the projects I chose were the ones that I thought would be most useful for me, the ones that were based on my interests, the work that I wanted to gain the experience of doing and the skills that I wanted to improve. Choosing my own briefs and trying out different ones have also given me an idea of the kind of work that I definitely enjoy doing, and also helped to identify my strengths and weaknesses as a creative and a designer/illustrator. For example, I now know that I am not as good when it comes to packaging design/layout or that I am not as good at designing something for the more mature, older audiences. Although I don’t want to limit myself with the kind of work and the audience that I work to, I know, and it is evident from the outcomes of the projects that I have taken that my work is a lot stronger when I have younger people as the target audience. I also think that the visual aesthetic that I like to work in is better suited for them.

Out of all the other modules that I have completed over the two years of my degree, I believe that this module has been the one that has taught me the most. Time management, organisation, punctuality, communication, decision-making, are a couple of things that this module has thrown at me. Having a lot of different projects going on simultaneously, forced me to think in a more organised manner. This module has somewhat trained my brain to plan ahead of time, to ensure that I was able to tend to other projects and give it equal attention. On the whole, I realised that time management is key for success for everything you do.

Pressure of working for real clients, I felt, was a lot more intense than the big competition briefs. This caused me to discipline myself more with my punctuality and I felt I was more motivated to do the work. With my working professional mindset turned on, I wanted to leave them satisfied with my service, so that hopefully they would come back to me for further design work if and when required. My attitude towards the competition briefs was slightly different. I didn’t feel the same kind of pressure of the deadlines or from the competition organisers. Because of this, I knew that I wouldn’t let anyone down (except myself) if I didn’t complete the briefs. Despite this, my competitive personality still wanted me to do well. So I applied myself with the same kind of enthusiasm and completed the briefs to the best of my ability. I had looked at more briefs too, as evidenced on my blog, but I found that I was balancing too much work and simply did not have time to do them.


Overall, I feel that this module has been really insightful and enjoyable. It has taught me a lot about what it would be like working out of education, and how I should go about dealing with it. Due to the fact that I had to keep in constant contact with my clients, I also believe my communication skills have improved a whole lot over the course of this module. Whether it is face to face, over the phone or via email, I feel that I am a lot more confident in talking to people. I feel that I am now able to conduct myself more professionally, and to produce work and present them at a more professional standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment