Wednesday 14 May 2014

Floriography

In victorian times flower giving was particularly symbolic due to the strict social guidelines that emotions and thoughts could not readily be expressed between men and women. Feelings/emotions were understood by the recipient depending on what type of flowers were sent.
I decided to go with the floriography idea as I thought it was the most doable for the time I have left. I started looking at some of the flowers and what they meant, then tried to figure out what kind of person would best describe/communicate the meanings of the flowers: 
Initially I was just going to make up some characters with their personality and characteristics based on the different flowers, portraying them in a similar style of Alphonse Mucha's work. However, in the progress tutorial, Matt reminded me that my PPP work should reflect what I've learnt from this year - in vis lang, vis com etc. I decided making characters maybe just isn't enough to show these skills to the fullest potential.
With the pages above, I tried to figure out what I could do to showcase more of what I've learnt from this year. I decided that I want to make scenes featuring two main characters, set in the Victorian era, that would describe what the flowers mean and how they are used to communicate how the characters feel towards each other. I want this to be a book with each page/exchanging of flowers showing the blossoming relationship of the characters - like a cute love story.

I think this would showcase more of my visual language skills, the research (into the victorian era) reflected in my work and my interest in character design and story telling than my previous idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment