Monday 19 May 2014

What kind of aesthetic do I want?

To further reflect the time period that my story is set in, I am going to create my final illustrations like the ones below of illustrations created in the Victorian era - with a little bit of my twist to it, so not as realistic looking. I think this would also be a good way to practise value/tone.

I am going to use pencil to create my final illustrations - I would have liked to have experimented with other medias, however because it is nearing the deadline now I don't think it's wise to do so. Also, I like the texture pencil gave to some of my thumbnails - makes them look like the illustrations above. 

Thorsten Hasenkamm have also used pencil to do his sketches (below) and they look bloody brilliant! I love how he says they're just 'sketches' or thumbnails - they look like they could be finished pieces to me! I like how the shapes are pushed and exaggerated to make them look so much more active and alive! so much fun! His lines are organic, even the straight ones aren't perfectly straight. Natural strokes which I think gives it a real, nice handcrafted quality which I absolutely adore. I also like the colour tint he's added to his drawings - makes them a little warmer and nicer to look at. This might add a bit of a vintage effect - I might have to try add a colour tint like this too, if my final grayscale illustrations look a bit cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment