Monday 26 May 2014

OUIL 402 End of Module Evaluation

By looking into the practices of other illustrators through Big Heads etc. this module, I have developed more of an understanding into what Illustration is, the industry and the different uses of illustration such as promotional uses, websites, publishing, products etc. Having tasks dedicated to time management this module have also developed my skill in time management.

For studio brief 3, I have used a slightly different process to make my images. I really like the look my pencil sketches and the texture the pencil gave me. It sort of reminded me of the illustrations created in the Victorian era and I wanted this aesthetic reflected in my work as the research I did was based on things that happened during this era. Instead of going full on digital, I created each of my illustrations on paper first and then digitally enhanced them at the end. I found this a little time consuming but I really like the look this gave me - the texture, and the sort of roughness, raw, handcrafted feeling it gives my work. I also sort of wanted to redeem myself for not being as experimental and using different medias as I would've liked this year, so I’m quite glad I finally decided to do something a little different to my usual way of working for this brief.

I wanted to sum up the kind of work that I’m interested in doing and the things that I’ve learnt this whole year through my work for studio brief 3. I think that my thinking, through thumbnailing is strength in this brief; I have started to think a lot more about my compositions, line of sight, depth, value, etc. in my work. Because of this I think I have been a bit more exhaustive with my ideas, sketching and planning which I've always wanted to try and improve on.

As well as the media play, I think I could have also explored more of other professionals work in this module - going out to see exhibitions, art events etc. I think this is the one main weakness of mine this module, which I think has affected my other work this year. I am a fan of a lot of artists and have a lot of people who inspires me with my work, but I've noticed that a lot of them are quite similar in what they do, their careers, their tone of voice, the media they use, how they use colour, texture and shape which I think is evident in the artists slide of my presentation. I think this is something that I need to work on during the summer and next year. I want to broaden my influences and look for people and be inspired by people who I don't usually follow, look through their ways of seeing the world and use this as a tool to find more to say with my own work. I want to take more risks and not be afraid to try new things and fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment