Thursday 1 May 2014

OUIL 406 End of Module Evaluation

Working in a group for the first brief has definitely developed my group working, communication and listening skills. It was interesting to work with other people who are interested in different things to me; I think we all had different ideas and having to plan ahead of time for group meet ups and discussions for the best way to tackle the brief, I believe has also developed my skills in time management and problem solving.

I feel I have developed three new approaches/methods of image making in this module. For the ‘That’s Pants’ brief, it was actually really nice to work with a camera instead of my usual pencil sketch/Photoshop combination. Making the gif was also beneficial to me as it gave me more insight and understanding into stop motion animation. Using the camera and making animated illustrations is something that I would like to develop my skill in further. I’d like to experiment combining the two, photography and digital painting, together in the future for a different kind of aesthetic that I am used to. 

The Illustrator brief was a long and challenging one; this was something that was relatively new to me and it took a bit of help, patience and practise for me to eventually get used to the programme and tools. The simplicity and limitation of detail that Illustrator allowed helped me to realise what actually is needed on the postcards and what isn't to communicate the idea/place and forced me to think back about my work. In the development process I had to simplify everything down, stripping away things that weren’t really necessary. Realising what is and isn't needed is something that I need to work on.

I think the professionalism and quality of my work is more consistent and evident throughout each of the briefs that I have been given due to the improvement in my time managementI've learnt more Photoshop basics; when picking colours I now know to use the colour displayed below the 'out of gamut' (exclamation mark) alert so that the colours of my prints are more closely matched with what is on screen. This and the employment of things learnt in visual language such as colour and composition, I think has definitely made my work a lot stronger and higher in quality especially my Marie Curie poster.

The downside to my body of work, like in previous modules, is my lack of experimentation with different medias. I really struggle with this part and I hope that one day I can be more experimental and open with the opportunities that are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment