Monday 14 September 2015

Charlie's Kidney Transplant

I've had a very productive start to my summer holiday; Completing the illustrations for the Kidney book that Leeds Children's Hospital have asked me to do. This project was made part of my Responsive module but I only submitted 3 fully illustrated double pages for this module. The client wanted to have the book completed for the end of July (29th) as they wanted to have it ready for transplant awareness week where they'll be having transplant games for the children at the hospital and a launch/opening party for the book.

Although they gave me until the last week of July to finish the book, I gave myself my own deadline to complete the project (12th of July - as I would be going abroad on the 14th). I spent everyday from the 20th of June doing this and completed it just as I wanted before the 14th. 

This project has been a real learning experience for me; working and communicating with real clients. I think this project has also really pushed me with my time management and planning. This was my first time I illustrated a whole book so I am really proud of myself for completing the project, but as expected, I'm not 100% happy with some of the pages due to, probably impatience (because oh my god, sooo many pages! I got a little tired) and rushing to get it completed. I voiced my concern with the client about the tight timing/deadline before and they told me that they had no problem with me recycling images, as long as it would correlate with the story on the page, so I did just that to save a little bit of time.

The reaction and feedback from the client however, was a positive one. They were really happy with the completed book and actually have asked me if I'd be willing to illustrate another book for them but instead of a kidney transplant, they want one for the liver. I was of course ecstatic that they wanted my service again, but as I'll be going into my last year of uni, I wasn't sure if I would have the time to do this. 

After thinking about this for while, I decided that this project may be a good starting brief for OUIL603. I think there is the opportunity to develop the project further and maybe actually go on to designing additional merchandise/products that could go with the books, posters for the launch party (since they have postponed it due to problems with the funding arising). Click here for more info.

1 comment:

  1. hello. i am a teacher in the children's dialisis department in shaari zedeck hospital which is located in jerusalem, Israel. We are very impressed with the book" Charlie's Kidney Transplant" and would love to purchase a copy. Thank you and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete