Saturday 19 September 2015

Have a Little Faith: A Future Plan

Ok. So. I rarely talk about faith or religion or things like this because I really don't feel the need to - theres really nothing to it; I'm a human being, you're a human being, only I believe in something that you may not, which I have no problem with. But lately things are getting out of hands and I just feel the need to express myself. 

Now, I rarely use my Facebook anymore, literally abandoned for 2 main reasons: 1. I really can't be bothered with it any more and 2. because sometimes people are so closed minded I really can't deal. But sometimes you will come across things that really brings a whole new light to people's minds. Recently there's that thing with the kid who made a homemade clock to impress his teacher only to get arrested because fear got the better of her. Today, I'm quite glad that I decided to log on to Facebook because it made me come across the video below and it really made me think - people are so bombarded with negative stuff in the media, they almost completely forget that this is just the doings of a faction of people out of millions and billions. We need to start reminding ourselves that the only reason for this fear is because we shut ourselves up, too consumed in the negatives, not wanting to know, not wanting to find out.


I must say that people have started to become more understanding and accepting of other people; equal rights, LGBT, etc. etc. But maybe we still need to educate ourselves more, maybe we need to see things more in other peoples perspectives, live in other's shoes. Which got me personally thinking, got me questioning myself.. how can I show people that, I as a Muslim, am no different from anyone else. Then I came across this other video:


..which whilst gathering my thoughts, I remembered of this animation short that Pixar will be putting out in front of The Good Dinosaur in November (which I am highly anticipating, by the way):


Pixar's Sanjay's super team will be the first Pixar film starring a character of colour. Director Sanjay Patel drew on his childhood experiences to create the 7 minute short, which chronicles a Hindu prayer ritual with his father. It’s also the first time religion is the subject in a Pixar film. Which when I first heard of this, I thought 'yeah! this looks very promising' - maybe we need to start incorporating more into what we put into people's heads, especially children's. Incorporating other people's beliefs and religion through an animation is a light hearted, fun way to subtly get people to live in their shoes, to experience the thoughts and feelings. It's a very good idea. Good on you Director Sanjay Patel.

After gathering my thoughts (I seem to always be 'gathering my thoughts', right? ahaha), I thought maybe I could too use my artistic skills and create something that is based off of my childhood-to-now experiences moving and living as a Muslim in a non-muslim country (believe me, I have stories to tell). Its always nice to know that you're not alone, that there are people out there who understands so I think this is a very good idea, no, I truly believe in this idea because I think a lot of people (who might have experienced the same things as me) would relate to my stories in one way or another and it would be such an honour if I could be the one to bring things to light, bring people together. Every little helps right?

I would like to kick start the project in OUIL 603 but I feel like something like this, something that's personal, will require some careful planning and a lot of time, which I don't think I will have - I don't want to work under pressure for something that I want to invest every part of my heart and soul to. Soooooo... when I have the time in the future, this is what I want to work on - between figuring myself out, finding jobs, working on jobs, raising a family or whatever it is I'll doing, I will get this project going - and believe me when I say this.. when I get passionate about something, I really get passionate about it and then who knows, maybe you'll see me one day as a character on screen or books or even both. There's no stopping me :-)

I also thought about an alternative idea, which I think would be more doable for OUIL 603 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment