Tuesday 15 September 2015

Creative Strategy: Portfolio & Internships

Since the beginning (and also before) of this degree I already had a clear pathway in mind on what I want to achieve, what I want to be and where I want to be in a couple years time. I started my level 5 PPP presentation with this, reminding my peers and myself of my ambitions; to ultimately have a career in the animation industry (DreamWorks, Disney, Pixar, BlueSky, Laika being a few studios that I look up to).

I don't feel that my work is up to the standards (yet) of animators/illustrators/artists who work in the mentioned studios above. So in order to make work up to the standards of current employees at these studios, I decided to find out what their expectations are; what it is exactly that they require of you, skills, experiences etc.

I looked up internships at Pixar and there was one that caught my eye the most;

This sounds super exciting to me especially if you get to go to California! but I'm not confident yet to apply. This year I really want to develop my portfolio and get better at:
  • Character design
  • Environment (sets/props)
  • Colour/lighting
  • Further develop my layout and composition.
  • Overall just get better at drawing
To achieve this, I need to practice, practice, practice. Observe. Experiment. Play. Take photographs. Use photo references if need to. Stop being so afraid of getting things wrong!!

Pixar also wants applicants to submit demo reels, and if I were to one day apply I would need to be able to know how to make one. Pixar, actually has a link on their website that tells you how. THANKS PIXAR! maybe I could create one anyway as a self promotion material? yes. its a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment